A weekend (or longer) trip, more expensive than the nearest Czech mountains but still relatively on budget, and it’s the Alps dude!
Lots of them! Just to name a few:
- Mayrhofen: 2.5hrs away by train from Munich Hbf, 44eur return.
- Kitzsteinhorn at Zell am See, 2hrs by train
- Söll: 1.5hrs away by train (from Munich Hbf to Wörgl Hbf), 52eur return.
- A couple of nice places in Bavaria reached best by car, e.g. Herzogstand, Dammkar.
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen & Zugspitze: ~1.5hrs by train from Munich Hbf to Garmisch + ~1hr Zahnradbahn to Zugspitze. There’s also a cheap overnight FlixBus from Berlin to Garmisch.
- Train: on average, return trip is from 100eur (look out for sales though!)
- Skipass: from 50eur/day
- Accommodation: from 60eur
Itineraries by train (to Munich)
A suitable EuroNight (sleeper) train via Hannover leaves at 19:49 and arrives at 7:05.
Return: EuroNight via Mannheim, 20:44 > 06:06.
There’s also an option to save some money by going back on Monday during the day on ICE train.
Itineraries by plane (to Munich)
Lots of direct flights from ... return.
We have to say Garmisch and Zugspitze are slightly boring and overpriced. If you’re interested in having a beer on the highest point of Germany, go ahead, but otherwise, it makes sense to go there only after a really good snowfall.